Sunday 31 May 2015

May 2015


Since I keep forgetting to do 'Sunday, Sunday', I thought it would be easier to just round them all up into a feature of things that have stood out for me throughout the month. And thank God I started this off in May, as this month ended up being a whirlwind of great things for me.



May didn't really start out that great, though. After having a weeks' worth of stomach flu - which has given me a new lease of appreciation of being (eventually) able to eat food - the next week I managed to get tendinitis in my foot. I guess those two things gave me some luck for what happened the weeks after that. 

First off, Brett Morgen's Cobain documentary, Montage of Heck was released (which I reviewed over at The Indiependent). It's safe to say that was a breath of fresh air in the realm of Cobain documentaries, as for the first time it didn't dwell on his suicide. And the way the documentary was handled was breath-taking.

 Remember X-Files coming back is a thing that happened in March? I still feel like this is all a dream, especially since David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are making their way up to Vancouver next Thursday to start filming on June 8th. This is happening, and I don't know how to feel about it. 


Even though I'm currently watching probably ten or so television shows at once, I have two shows that are going to be my priority in the immediate future. That being the 3rd season of an Anderson filled Hannibal and Duchvony's new show Aquarius. Both of which will start airing together next Thursday after Aquarius' two-hour premiere this week (which I will have a review of tomorrow).

After watching the first two episodes of Aquarius twice, it's safe to say I'm hooked. I was skeptical of them releasing the episodes all at once online, but I am so thankful for that now. It's a pretty addictive show once you understand what's going on and who's who. Plus, when can I ever not get enough of Duchovny. 


Season Three of Hannibal may not be out yet, but that hasn't stopped NBC from making some awesome promo trailers - my personal favourite being #BrideOfHannibal. The use of song is flawless. If you know me, you'll know I'm a sucker for juxtaposition and this trailer screams it. 


During all of this, I finished my first year of university which is surreal. Funnily enough the best essay I managed to write ended up being my last one. In all honesty, it's more like a 2000-word love letter to Terminator 2 but I guess it constitutes as an essay. But now uni's over, I can die over films and TV rather than slaving over essays.

As a treat for myself, I went to see Age of Ultron with my family. Wasn't as good as the first one, but it was better than I thought it was going to be. It didn't have anything on Guardians of the Galaxy though. I don't think any Marvel is going to meet up with my love for that film.

NBC & FOX upfronts happened. Which I did a roundup of here, and was the most boring two hours of my life until The X-Files eventually reared its head for a mere 2 minutes. Best 2 minutes of that whole night.


Then Duchovny and Anderson topped that off with the concert of this year, and me talking about it probably won't do it any justice. Just YouTube it. And proceed to never hear Neil Young's 'Helpless' in the same way again. And don't even get me started on the kissing, my brain can't handle it.

  


I got back into editing a bit whilst I was crying over my essays. I finally got around to making a Fight the Future music video to Foo Fighters' 'Walking After You'; splicing their music video with scenes from the film, which I don't see why they didn't do in the first place. You're welcome.



I'm now finally up to the date with the rest of the world and have officially finished Breaking Bad. I don't know where my head was at the beginning of its run, I didn't really see why it was being considered one of (if not) the greatest TV shows of all time. When I got to the end of the third season...I could see why. And that series finale. Wow. One of the best finales I've ever seen. I don't think I'll ever recover from that end scene.

Which now means I can finally watch Better Call Saul. And funnily enough, Saul Goodman is my favourite character in Breaking Bad so this series is a godsend. I'm half way through it and I think I might love it even more than Breaking Bad. No surprises there.

Seeing Foo Fighters at Wembley Stadium is getting closer than ever, the tickets finally came two weeks ago. I still can't believe I'm seeing them for the second time. You never get over seeing your heroes in the flesh the first time around, God knows what I'm going to be like this time.
And if all that wasn't enough for this month, I have officially conversed with David Duchovny over Twitter. I'm trying to keep a cool persona about this but on the inside, I'm dead. Officially dead. I'd just like to thank my brain for thinking it would be a great idea to stay up till 4am Thursday night to watch a live stream of the premiere of Aquarius and to think of a decent question to ask whilst he was live tweeting. Thanks, brain. I can now sleep peacefully at night knowing that we have a shared love of The Who and Keith Moon.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Wreck My Brain. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig